The rights and responsibilities of a riparian owner

If you own land adjoining, above or with a watercourse running through it, you have certain rights and responsibilities. In legal terms you are a ‘riparian owner’. If you rent the land you should agree with the owner who should manage these rights and responsibilities.

Smaller watercourses, ditches and drains, known as ‘ordinary watercourses’ play a crucial role in managing flood risk to people and property in Cambridgeshire. That is why it is important to ensure that they are well maintained and kept free from debris, obstructions and do not become overgrown. Cambridgeshire County Council, under the Flood and Water Management Act (2010), is a ‘Lead Local Flood Authority’, and responsible for regulating ordinary watercourses outside of internal drainage board areas.

For more information please see this document.

Tags: ,